Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Beauty contestant chooses biblically correct over PC


The first runner-up for Miss USA tells Fox News Channel that she may have lost her chance at the crown because of her answer to a question about same-sex "marriage." However, she says she had to stand on biblical truth.

 

On Sunday, Miss California Carrie Prejean, 21, was asked by blogger Perez Hilton, an open homosexual and one of the pageant's judges, about her stance on same-sex marriage. Responding, Prejean said she personally believed marriage should be between a man and a woman.
 
Carrie Prejean (1st runner-up, Miss USA 2009)"We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country and in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman," she said. "No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised. I think that it should be between a man and a woman." (See YouTube video)
 
Although Miss North Carolina, Kristen Dalton, won the title, Prejean has made the rounds of television news and talk shows, addressing the controversy that her answer may have cost her the Miss USA crown. Prior to the interview segment of the pageant, Prejean reportedly was the hands-down favorite to win.

 

Story continues below ...


Did Carrie Prejean do the right thing in defending traditional marriage,

even though it may have cost her the crown?

Vote in our poll


 
Appearing on Your World with Neal Cavuto on Tuesday, Prejean said she had "no regrets" about her answer.

Cavuto: "In this day and age, these kinds of views, we're told, are not politically correct -- [that] these are not the modern views." 

Prejean: "Right -- and that's the thing I really need to think about: am I trying to be politically correct, or do I want to be biblically correct? And I think that I want to be biblically correct. All I could think about when I was standing there, answering that question was, 'Carrie, what are your beliefs?'"

The pageant contestant says she knew afterwards that she was not going to win because of her answer because she "had spoken from my heart, for my beliefs, and for my God..."
 
Prejean has shared that she is praying for Perez Hilton and has no animosity toward him -- despite his profanity-laced rant against her that he posted on his website following the pageant.
 
"I can only say to him that I will be praying for him," she told the Today show on Tuesday morning. "I feel sorry for him, I really do. I think he's angry, I think he's hurt. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. He asked me specifically what my opinion was on that subject, and I gave him an honest answer."
 
Prejean, a native of San Diego, is a junior at San Diego Christian College.